Thursday, April 3, 2008

Devotional 4-4-08

I will remember my ancient covenant with their ancestors, whom I brought out of Egypt while all the nations watched. I, the Lord, am their God." --Leviticus 26:45

The Man at the Top of the Stairs


When my third son, Marty, was about 7, he showed me a picture he drew in Sunday School. The teacher had asked the students to draw something about their church. His drawing showed a stick figure with a series of horizontal lines under it. Not sure what I was looking at, I asked, "Is that Dr. Wood preaching?" "No," he said, "it's the man at the top of the stairs." I must admit, it took me a minute and a few more questions before I realized he was talking about Dan Handloser, who during those years, stood at the top of the steps at the 10th Street door (the door used by those coming to Sunday School) to greet people and assist any visitors looking for a Sunday School class. How sweet and uncomplicated that, for a child, the church was symbolized by a friendly face at the top of the stairs.

During my childhood, the man at the top of the stairs was Hansford Welch, one of the saints of Johnson Memorial, who passed away this January at the age of 97. Hansford served as Sunday School Superintendent for 20 years, and proudly took his place at the top of the stairs Sunday after Sunday. Several years ago, my Sunday School class sent him a collective birthday card. The next Sunday he came to our class and asked if he could say a few words. He shared with us his vision for our church and told us we were its future leaders. It was as though he was passing the mantle of leadership onto us. What a responsibility to live up to his example!

This Sunday is Native American Sunday in the United Methodist Church. Here is a Native American prayer:

Oh great Spirit of our Ancestors,
I raise my pipe to you,
to your messengers the four winds,
and to Mother Earth who provides for your children.
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and to be kind to each other
so that they may grow with peace of mind.
Let us learn to share all the good things
that you provide for us on this Earth.


Anita Gardner Farrell

No comments: