Thursday, August 7, 2008

Devotional 8-8-08

“Faith”

Read: Psalm 105:1-6, Matt 14:22-33 and Romans 5:1-15

Faith is defined in Webster’s as:
1 a: allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1): fidelity to one's promises (2): sincerity of intentions2 a (1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2): complete trust3: something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

As a Christian we are to place all of our Faith in God through his son, our savior, Jesus. Let all of our life be guided in everything we do by his hands. We are to do this every day of our life. WOW, can we really do this??? Well, if you read the above passags you’ll see that this is exactly what our God of the Old Testament and of the new Covenant, through his son Jesus wants us to do.

Now I don't suggest that we do not have to make certain informed choices in our lives. (Don't try driving a car on Faith alone. You do have to place your hands on the wheel.) We are to talk with God and listen for his guidance when we need to make a choice, or when we need to take a leap of faith.

Twenty-four years ago I was looking to make a career change decision. As I investigated what I would have to do to make this change I needed Gods help to lead me to see if this was the path I was to take. I prayed about it, I counseled with our Senior Pastor F. Emerson Wood. Because one thing was certain I would have to leave Huntington for a school I would need to attend. What that meant was leaving my job, loss of income, and my family. We had three small children, a home, expenses, etc. Well, after all the prayers and counseling, a school was found, and I was accepted. Funds to help defray the loss of income were made available. (And much appreciated) I left Huntington and commuted on weekends from Cincinnati to maintain our family connection. A year later I returned to Huntington with a new career.

None of this would have happened with having the faith I needed in our God. As my dear mother, Frances Herr, often said, "everything always works out for the best." She had great faith in God. Since then has my faith wavered? I have had not had enough faith at times. But I always find out that when I place all of my worrys, decisions and concerns in God's hands, "everything does work out."

When we have this faith in God we are not to keep it to ourselves, but we are to use it to bring other to Christ and God. It is through our example of living a life in Christ and faith in God that will help others see the light.

The refrain in the lyrics from the song below have a special place in my heart, as it was a part of the music used during my "Walk to Emmaus" weekend. I have just seen the rest of the lyrics as I was writing this devotion, and I was taken aback by how much they followed parts of the scriptures above. (Divine intervention!!) (For those able to be at church this past week Patricia Green's music during the Offering was a beautiful arrangement of this song).

Now that I have rambled too long, one last word "KEEP the FAITH" is more than just a saying it is something we all should live by daily.

God Bless ALL
Fred Herr

TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS
Words and Music by Helen H. Lemmel
1922

O soul are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Saviour,
And life more abundant and free.

Refrain
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His Glory and Grace.

Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
Over us sin no more hath dominion -
For more than conquerors we are!

Refrain
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His Glory and Grace.

His Word shall not fail you - He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell.

Refrain
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His Glory and Grace

No comments: