Thursday, August 6, 2009

Devotional 8-7-09

Follow the Outline

Please read Philippians 3: 1-21

Chances are, you know a retired man in your neighborhood whose lawn is the envy of everyone else’s. In the Beverly Hills neighborhood of Cross Lanes, my dad was that guy. He mowed twice a week, properly followed a fertilizer schedule, and kept his shrubbery perfectly trimmed. Last summer, when Dad at age 79 gave up the regular mowing to a lawn service, he continued to do his own edging and trimming. We joked that it was because no one else could do it to his satisfaction. It was true, though; no one else could do it as well.

After Dad’s sudden death in May, Mom agreed to let me assume responsibility for Dad’s shrubbery. We both knew I would not do it as well, but someone would have to do it; it might as well be me. About a week after the funeral, I showed up at Mom’s to take care of the hedges. She showed me where he kept the tools and left me alone for my task.

I had not anticipated what an emotional experience it would be to trim Dad’s hedges. As I began to pick up the larger hedge trimmer (he used two: one for the rough cut and the smaller one for finishing and shaping) and began to unwind the electric cord, I was overcome with sentimental feelings. Dad always fussed at the way I wound my extension cords. I wrapped them tightly from hand to elbow, while Dad was more fastidious, making big sweeping loops and taking care to get all the twists out. I thought to myself as I looked at Dad’s cord, the way he left it…it’s never going to be the same.

As I got to work with the trimming though, first with the forsythia, I found that it was beginning to look pretty good. Dad took such good care of his plants, I discovered that all I really needed to do was cut back the new growth, and it looked (almost) as if Dad had done it himself. When I finished the first group of forsythia that create a privacy hedge in the back yard, I realized that Dad had left a great outline for me to follow.

Following Dad’s outline worked around front with the boxwoods, hollies, and junipers, too. What a gift Dad left by providing an outline for me to follow. I never would have imagined that I would be able to get the perfect round or square looks that were a source of pride to him. All I have to do, though, is follow the outline.

Trimming the hedges each few weeks has given me some time not only to visit with Mom and help her out, but also to experience a time of spiritual connection with my father. I can imagine him smiling as I get each shrub down to the perfect outline he left. And I chuckle at what he might be thinking as I wind his electric cord tightly between my hand and elbow.

In Philippians 3:17 Paul urges us to provide a good outline for those who will come behind us.
Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us.”
In lawn care and life, I cannot measure up to the example my dad established for me…but I’m getting better.

Dear God, thank you for the lives of the saints who showed us how to live and love. May their example encourage us to live lives that are pleasing to you, so that those who come behind us find us faithful. Amen.

Jeff Taylor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... and may the fire of our devotion light their way. Amen