Friday, June 18, 2010

Devotioal 6-18-10

“The Voice”


Lectionary Readings: 1 Kings 19:1-25; Psalm 42; Galatians 3:23-29; Luke 8:26-39

“Then he was told, “Go stand on the mountain at attention before God. God will pass by.” A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks before God, but God wasn’t to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but God wasn’t in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but God wasn’t in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper. When Elijah heard the quiet voice, he covered his face with his great cloak, went to the mouth of the cave and stood there.” 1 Kings 19:11-13. (The Message)
I don’t remember how old I was when I first heard this passage, but I clearly remember my father using it to explain how I would know right from wrong. My dad told me that God was with me always and that the voice I heard in my head/heart that most people called their conscience was really God sending me messages about how to behave. He emphasized that it would probably always be a very quiet voice that I would have to listen for. The voice would not be a yelling, nagging or preachy kind of voice. It would just be a gentle suggestive voice and I would have to be paying close attention. My dad also said that if I had any doubts about the message, I should always feel free to ask for his (my dad’s) advice and interpretation—he wanted to make sure I heard the voice correctly at an early age.

The story of Elijah is a powerful reminder that obeying God’s instructions can be the factor in whether we live or die. The passage for today from 1Kings follows the dramatic demonstration of God’s power on Mount Carmel. Elijah had challenged the 450 prophets of Baal to see whose God was the mightiest. Of course, the one true God of Elijah sent fire to consume the altar sacrifice after the prophets of Baal had failed to call forth fire from their god. The prophets of Baal were all killed for believing in a false god who could not deliver. And then the God of Abraham sent rain to cleanse the land of three years of drought. Queen Jezebel was not happy with these outcomes and threatened Elijah. Elijah, fearing for his life, ran away. He ended up in the desert, exhausted and depressed. God’s angels appeared and sent him to a cave on the top of Mount Horeb where he waited for directions from God which eventually came in the “quiet voice”.

How do we make sense of this type of voice? God has every method available to communicate with us: earthquake, wind, fire, thunder, lightening, etc. God does speak through these mighty powers, but the most frequent way that I “get in touch with God” is through the still small voice. I have sometimes tried to imagine what God sounds like. The kind of voice I hear most often is a male bass voice somewhat like my dad’s or James Earl Jones or maybe Morgan Freeman. I can also tell you without reservation that the voice has indeed been the guide for my behavior—that is when I pay attention to it. The still small voice works because it requires our participation and response. The most effective voice of God is not dramatic or flamboyant, but a whisper that I can only hear if I am actively listening. Elijah was paying attention—listening for the voice of God. When it came, Elijah’s response was to obey the directions from God and he lived to serve God many more days.

As we celebrate Father’s Day this weekend, we are very thankful for those fathers who willingly let God speak through them. We are grateful for men of God, like Elijah who have lived before us to demonstrate the power of God in their lives—that if we obey, God is with us. We give thanks for all the voices that give us clear messages of God’s love and care. And we are eternally indebted for the gift of the still small voice that resides in each of our hearts, guiding us toward more godly behavior.

Dear heavenly Father, thank you for the many gifts you send throughout our lives. We are thankful for fathers who lived as godly men according to your guidance. We especially thank you for the voice they used to comfort, guide and direct us. We are grateful for all who are willing to let your eternal light shine through their daily walk and give voice to your word. Help us to continue to listen for that whisper that guides us as forcefully as a hurricane wind. Help us to quiet our constant blabbing so that we can truly listen for that still small voice that guides us to grace and eternal life. AMEN.

Chyrl Budd

No comments: