Friday, September 30, 2011

Devotional 9-30-11

As it happened I finished one of my class readings yesterday which pushed my original plans for this devotional aside. I will share this reading with you instead. I must confess I found the questions challenging and humbling:
“Do you really want to live your lives, every moment of your lives, in God’s Presence? Do you long for God, crave God? Do you love God’s presence? …“Thou shalt love the Lord they God with all they heart and soul and mind and strength.” Do we really do it? Is love steadfastly directed toward God, in our minds, all day long? Are our lives unshakable because we are clear down on bed rock, rooted and grounded in the love of God?...

Do you want to live in such an amazing divine Presence that life is transformed and transfigured and transmuted into peace and power and glory and miracle? If you do, then you can. But if you say you haven’t the time, I can only say to you, ‘Then you don’t really want to, you don’t yet love God above all else in the world, with all your heart and soul and mind and strength.’ For except when terrific pressures come upon us, we find time for what we really want to do.”
–from  A Testament of Devotion by Thomas R. Kelly
Human devotion is never complete. For with each new plateau we reach, we are so amazed at the wonder of new feeling in our relationship with God that something within us says, “This must be it! There can be no greater feeling!” And then we are blessed and humbled to hear the testimony of a sister or brother further along in their journey who calls back to us, “Enjoy it where you are, but greater wonders lie ahead! Enjoy the new place you have discovered, but soon you must climb higher!” There is no reason to believe or expect that we have or will know the fullness of God’s love in this life, for God intends to love us forever, but the invitation remains: “Climb higher!”

Joe Hill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joe, Thank you so much for sharing this insight. I guess I always knew I would be reaching but I assumed that was because of all my imperfection.
Congrats to Majesty as the 2011 Miss Spark!
Norma Denning