Friday, February 3, 2012

Devotional 2-3-12

New Year's Resolutions
As I was watching the Rose Bowl Parade January 2, 2012, they were taking a survey asking people how they were doing on keeping their New Year’s Resolutions. It was reported that 32% had already broken a resolution they had made for 2012. I began to wonder which one of the top 13 New Year’s resolutions they had failed to keep: drink less alcohol, eat healthy food, get a better education, get a better job, get fit, lose weight, manage debt, manage stress, quit smoking, save money, take a trip, volunteer to help others, or follow the three R- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Well as I looked at that list, I could see how 32% could have already broken a resolution with one cigarette, an extra piece of pie, too many drinks, or buying that new car with 0% interest for 60 months.

But even the most well-intended resolutions tend to fall to pieces soon after the Time Square ball drops. Niall O'Dowd of New York City resolved to lose 30 pounds one year but fell off the exercise bike the first day in and fractured his leg. "No more weight loss," O'Dowd told ABCNews.com.

Do you have a list of New Year’s Resolutions? What is driving you to better your life? What is on your list of resolutions? Does it include some of the top 13? Or does your list include none of the top 13? As I thought about the top 13, this devotion I am writing, and what might be on my list, I was forced to ask myself the question, “What would Jesus want me to put on my resolutions list?”

In other words ask yourself: What is Jesus calling me to change? What is Jesus asking me to do? Where is Jesus calling me to serve? How can I be a better Disciple for Jesus?

If I were to make a list I believe these would be the top 13 Christian resolutions:
  1. I will spend no less than 15 minutes a day reading my Bible.
  2. I will be in personal prayer at least three times a day.
  3. I will be in prayer with my family at every meal, and strive to also be in prayer with family members at other times regularly.
  4. I will find a place where I can be alone for 10 minutes every day to think of nothing else other than my walk with God.
  5. I will not only be at worship every Sunday but I will pray for the service and prepare myself for worship each week.
  6. I will strive to be involved in a Bible Study opportunity at least twice this year.
  7. I will begin asking God where he wants to use me in His church and watch diligently for that to be revealed to me by June of this year.
  8. I will look for opportunities to share with others how I see Jesus working in my life and in the world.
  9. I will strive to accept God’s forgiveness both in my life and in the lives of others.
  10. I will ask God for help in changing those things in my life that are hurting me physically and spiritually and to replace them with positive actions.
  11. I will turn over to God those things that are hard for me to do and wait for Him to show me what to do.
  12. I will ask God to help me to be more loving and caring of others.
  13. I will ask God to show me where he wants to use me in my community to help others in need
Rev. Sam Wachter

No comments: