Sunday, June 24, 2012

Devotional 6-22-12

Thank You, Jesus

 On April first, 2009, I was involved in an automobile accident. It was on Fifth Street hill and three cars were involved. I was very frightened. I could not breathe and I thought the car was on fire. I thought that I saw smoke, not knowing that air bags are filled with powder. I hyperventilated, drawing the powder into my lungs. I heard myself screaming, "Get me out of here!" A nurse, who was on her way home, stopped, opened my door and released my safety belt. She calmed me down as she called 911. The ambulance put me in a neck brace, placed me on the gurney, and off we went to the hospital. My knee had soft tissue damage, and I was bruised. But, it was not over yet. I fell a few days later, knocked myself unconscious, and had a brain bleed. In addition to that, I had a reaction to the pain medicine and ended back in the ER.

All of this caused me to be very apprehensive about driving, especially getting on the interstate at Fifth Street where the accident happened. For over six weeks, I would take the long way, not the interstate. Finally, I made the attempt. When I made it, I started saying out loud, "Thank You, Jesus." I used to tell my students, “If you do something a least 12 times, it will become a habit and you will not have to think about it, it will just happen." On this statement, I have proved myself wrong. It has been three years and I still say, "Thank you, Jesus" and I think about it each and every time. It has become part of me, not a habit.

God has been so good to me. I have had several health problems but somehow, I always come through it. Do we take time in our lives to see that God is always there to get us through it? It might be as simple as successfully getting on the interstate or it could be opening your eyes after a major heart attack. We worry about what will happen instead of being appreciative of what has happened. He will see us through whatever happens. This reminds me of a poem that I read:

God
didn't promise
days without pain,
laughter without
sorrow or sun
without rain.
But God did
promise strength
for the day,
comfort for the
tears and a light
for the way.
And for all who believe in His
kingdom of love,
He answers their faith
With peace from above.

Thank You, Jesus

Carolee Brown

No comments: