Friday, July 6, 2012

Devotional 7-6-12


I Corinthians 12: 2-10

This scripture speaks to us about the different gifts given to each of us and that we are all members of the body of Christ.

I think that this is a familiar piece and that at one time or another we have said. "I don't have any special gifts". We have probably also thought that we could really do a good job at something if we were only given the chance.


Now I am not saying that hear voices in my head, no matter what the Discovery Class believes, but if a thought keeps popping into my head, I have to believe there's a reason. I believe God, with the help of the Holy Spirit is giving me little nudges to do something. Sometimes it's way out of my comfort zone, and I try to ignore it, but it usually keeps coming back. Sometimes it's in disguise, and I agree to do it only to find out it's the very job I had been trying to avoid.


Because I like to cook and bake for people I care about does not mean that it is the gift I have to use all the time. Maybe sometimes I need to wash windows or clean closets at the church instead. Maybe I need to listen more to problems someone wants to talk about and stay silent and let them work it out themselves. Maybe there is a small gift in the back corner of my mind that I've been afraid to open for fear that it's something I really don't want to try.


The bottom line is that the "Giver" of these gifts already knew the ones I'd like, and the ones I've tried to avoid. He is very patient, and I might as well go ahead and open that gift. It might really surprise me.


Checked for any unopened gifts in your life lately? Why don't you? Maybe we can work together.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for your patience with your stubborn children. May we always seek your guidance and listen for your advice.
Amen.

Debbie McGinnis

No comments: