Friday, January 11, 2013

Devotional 1-11-13

MAKING MELODY IN YOUR HEART TO THE LORD
I love to sing. In fact, I have been singing since I was seven or eight years old, mostly in church choirs and with groups such as the Musical Arts Guild (which will celebrate its fiftieth anniversary this year).
Frequently, just when I need some encouragement or comfort the words of a hymn will come to me. The music of a hymn gets our attention but it is the words that can mean so much.
This morning the words of the hymn, "O Jesus, I have promised..." came to me just when I needed help and guidance. It surprised me that I remembered the words since I have not sung that hymn in years. I am convinced that the remembrance of the words came from Jesus Himself. It was His blessing to me for this day..
What a wonderful source of help and encouragement we find in our hymnal and in Ephesians 5:19, "Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs and making melody in your hearts to the Lord". Don't worry about "making melody", just speak to yourself in the words. What a blessing they can be.
Jean Dean

No comments: