Friday, October 17, 2014

Devotional 10-17-14

DID YOU KNOW????????????????


Recently I was working on a program about the importance of being like a child as we grow in our faith and work on our relationship with God.  I went to the Children’s Defense Fund webpage for some information, and discovered some unbelievable facts about the children in West Virginia.

There are 385,994 children living in West Virginia. (As of 2013)

Did you know that:

in West Virginia, a child is abused or neglected every 2 hours.

in West Virginia, a child dies before his or her first birthday every 2 days.

in West Virginia, there are 97,677 poor children, which is 25.8% of the total children in the state.         

in West Virginia, 37,134 children are without health insurance, which is 9.7% of the total children in the state.

There are so many of God’s little children in need right here in our state.  I was astounded.  I know that there is much to be done and it sounds so over whelming.  I also know that many of you are already involved in ways to help some of these children – like the Back Pack Ministry, Ebenezer Outreach Center and Common Grounds.  And yet – are we doing all God wants us to do?  Is there something else we should be doing to advocate for these children who have no voice and no power to change things?

In Mark 9:36-37, Jesus took a little child in his arms and said “Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me, welcomes not me but the one who sent me.”   God show me the way!

Dear God, We know that every baby born is a sign of hope from You. Guide our steps as we strive to make life better for the children in this state. Help us to see Your vision for these children. Help us as we yearn to be closer to you and we share Your love with everyone we encounter. Help us to be more child-like as we grow in our faith and our relationship with You.  Amen

Rev. Suzanne Ellis

No comments: