Thursday, March 26, 2015

Devotional 3-26-15

I know we are a week behind with Lent due to weather and church issues. I do not think it makes that much difference, really. I was thinking of how I would do Lent this year and decided I should share my idea. Here goes. Do not give up anything you really do not want to. Instead do a positive thing. Well, of course I have ideas for this. Say only positive things about our church and refuse to converse with those that have negative views. Sit in a different pew preferably beside someone that may be a visitor. Sing all the verses to all songs even though they may be long. Offer to take the altar flowers to someone (even though Scott Ramsey does this every Sunday). Come to Young at Heart in March. Offer to be a greeter  and usher (Jim Daniels would be delighted to have you help). Join the choir even if you cannot sing; your voice will be heard and appreciated by Bruce Rous.  Ask somebody to come with you to church one Sunday and throw in a free lunch if they come. Say hey to your neighbor if you do not already. Since the weather is bad take your neighbors' newspaper closer to their houses so they do not have to trudge in the snow to get it. Call a member of our church and do what I call a body check just to see if they are ok.  Pray for those that are hurting and rejoice with those are healing. I am sure if you put your mind to it you can come up with even more good things to do during our season of Lent. I do not think that our Lord will be unhappy. He probably liked bread and wine too.
 
Now here is the rest of the challenge. Write down on strips of paper what you chose to do for a positive Lent or  even what you choose to give up for Lent and put them in the offering plate on Easter Sunday.

Jean Ramsey

No comments: