Friday, September 11, 2015

Devotional 9-11-15

Hearts a Walkin’

The role of the first time expectant father is glorious – and easy. We get to strut around, smirking and saying things like, “Yea. I’m gonna be a dad.” And woe be to the bystander who doesn’t get away in time when the ultrasound pictures come out. Our toughest task is most likely painting the nursery or a midnight run to 7-11 for a Slurpee. But…once the baby is born >> well now the race is on!

There is so much to teach our little ones. And once they start daycare and public school – so much to un-teach them. (Ha) Children are sponges. No action is ever wasted. They will learn something – good or bad!

Author Elizabeth Stone writes, “Making the decision to have a child – it is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.”

With that said I wonder what people think when they see my two hearts out there walking around. Do they see a heart raised in a household full of love? Do they see a heart that respects others, that gives up its seat on the bus/metro/train, that abhors litter bugs, that holds the door open for others, that is kind to animals, that loves and cherishes their mother more than any creature on the planet, that gives a ride to a stranger, that gives a dollar to someone on the street – regardless of what they think it will be used to buy, that doesn’t gossip, that keeps a secret, that values friends, that is a courteous driver, that has a positive moral compass and knows right from wrong, that believes in God, goes to church and whether or not wearing the bracket or sporting the bumper sticker WWJD – will silently ask themselves the question, what WOULD Jesus do?

Oh my how I wish the answer could be yes to all. My two hearts – my boys – our boys are young men now. Fully capable of making their own decisions. I so hope that they have taken the best and will discard the worst.  The airwaves are full of angst and hate and exclusion and certainty as to the mind of God – much of it not painting God in a very good light. Is our conscience the voice of God speaking? If the world is saying HATE THEM, EXCLUDE THEM, CAST THEM ASIDE and my heart’s conscience is saying “That doesn’t feel right.” “Who did Christ hate? Who did Christ exclude? Who did Christ cast aside?” And the answer comes back NO ONE >> well then…

Our sons are wonderful. Strong, kind, dependable, compassionate and giving. When they were little they would ask what I had wanted to be when I grew up. My answer was always the same, “Your dad.” I am so very proud of them and do truly believe that they have the power to change the world. I also believe that as God looks down from His heaven he says, “See those two? Good hearts.”

Steve Matthews

No comments: