Saturday, October 21, 2017

Devotional 10-21-17


Exodus 33:12-23
Psalm 99
Matthew 22:15-22

Okay, so I told Kim I would write a devotion.  Hmmmm, that was 2 months ago and now the time is here. What to write about in this devotion.  Let me start with reading the scripture. What speaks to me?

Matthew 22:21---“Give Caesar what is Caesar’s, and God what is God’s.”

In Sunday church service, that ‘bad’ word ‘stewardship’ is being mentioned.  Let’s see, what does the dictionary say stewardship is.

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary states, 1. The office, duties, and obligations of a steward. 2. The conducting, supervising, or managing of something; especially: the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one’s care, stewardship of natural resources.

Oh, I get it; we are to give to God what is God’s.  We are the stewards of what is God’s.  So, by not littering, by recycling, by giving an offering to the church, I am being a good steward. I am taking care of God’s kingdom. I am keeping the physical workings of Johnson Memorial UMC going, permitting the staff to do their tasks, keeping the ministries/programs going, being a good steward. So, even though I am retired and on a fixed income, I give to the church what money I can. Not what I can spare, but what will be pleasing to me to give to God. I LIKE BEING A GOOD STEWARD!

Prayer:  Our gracious and loving Father, I thank you for all you have blessed me with in my life.  Bless me to give back to You.    Amen

Kay Lewis

No comments: