Friday, June 22, 2018

Devotional 6-22-18

I Cry for Help and You are There
 
Lectionary Readings:  2 Samuel 1:1, 17-27; Psalm 130; 2 Corinthians 8:7-15; Mark 5: 21-43

Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord; O Lord, hear my voice.  Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.  If you, O Lord kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared.  I wait for the Lord, my soul waits and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning. Psalm 130: 1-6.

I have recently been cleaning out several files and boxes of mementoes in preparation to move to a new address in Huntington.  This has caused a rash of memories that I thought were tamped down and relegated to the basement of my mind.  Some memories are so joyful and bright with happiness that it has been easy to think of them again.  There were weddings and births, special events and sightseeing trips, visits with friends and family and even other times when we changed our address.  But there have also been reminders of some painful times—times of great loss and sorrow; trips to the emergency room and hospital stays; loss of precious family members and great fears for a future without their presence.

Although some of the memories were painful, they were nothing compared to the actual events.  I was able to relive those past events with the benefit and comfort that through each event and even through this present move, I have been surrounded and loved by a God who never left me, even when I thought He was silent.  The memories also allowed me to recall the host of family and friends who were by my side, anticipating needs and providing support and comfort.  I have been truly blessed and am so thankful that I have had such strength and support available to me.  Great is Thy Faithfulness, Lord Unto me!

The recent celebrity suicides have also been preying on my memories, reminding me of another suicide that directly changed my life 27 years ago.  With all the advances in medicine these days, we have not been able to prevent the incidence of suicide to any degree.  In fact, today the Herald Dispatch reported an increase in the number of suicides per year in WV.  Evidently, mental illness is still a topic that we have not talked enough about and not enough people have felt safe enough to ask for help/assistance.

The psalmist, David, felt the need to cry out to God, but also confirmed that his hope was found in God’s word.  In another psalm (121), David looks to the hills, and cries “where does my help come from?  Help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.  He watches over you and will not slumber nor sleep.”  God is definitely available, but it seems that fewer people are calling on God for that assistance. Do we need to do a better job of asking others how they are feeling? Do we need to practice more thoughtful listening instead of talking so much?  Do we need to try to look past the outer layers of a person to understand what is truly going on in their inner thoughts? Social media has connected us at lightning speed, but many feel even more disconnected and alone.  What can I do to help? 

I don’t have any answers, and I’m sorry if this post has been on the sad side.  But I hope that God will use this message to encourage someone to seek help before changing forever the lives of the family and friends that love them so much. We are all in need.  There is no problem or concern, that God cannot heal, bind up or provide strength for you.  We are His, He knows our name and he will not leave us without support and comfort.  There are no overnight fixes, no quick solutions because grief and loss, pain and struggle take a lot of hard and ongoing effort.  I don’t see anyone having an easy way: financial, emotional or otherwise.  But we do not walk through the valley alone.  So, take a baby step and talk to someone about how you feel.  Quit saying “I’m fine” if you are not. Allow someone to help you….

Dear God, we know that you are always With Us even when we cannot think or feel.  Please continue to guide us to those who need us and give us the words or the silence that is required for the situation. Be with all those who are hurting and struggling.  Help them to feel your loving arms of support in the midst of their pain. We thank you for your faithfulness, your overwhelming mercy and your extravagant love.  AMEN.

Chyrl BuddNational Suicide Prevention Lifeline:  1-800-273-8255

No comments: