Friday, July 20, 2018

Devotional 7-20-18

Fishing on the Fourth of July
 Matthew 4:19 NIV
“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”

This past July 4, Jon Parlier and I visited an old friend who lived in North Myrtle Beach. We found ourselves in the company of thousands of others who had flocked to the sun, fun, and fireworks.

We found a spot on the shoreline where we planted our chairs. Presently we heard – and then saw - an airplane towing an advertising banner for a nearby restaurant. A few minutes later Jon asked me what I thought of the televangelist who wanted people to send him money for a private jet. I can only guess that the banner–towing airplane brought about the question. I said I didn’t think much of it. He agreed and said that 5.4 million could be put to better use.

Pleased that we had settled the matter, we enjoyed the sun, the waves lapping our feet, and the sounds of seagulls overhead.  But then we detected three shadows blocking our sun. The shadows were actually three high school girls armed with beautiful but nervous smiles.

They giggled as they explained that they were from Minnesota and on a retreat with high school students from all over the United States. They wanted to know if they could talk to us about our spiritual lives.

I have to laugh when I think back on that moment. They thought it would be difficult to get us to talk, but once we started, they could hardly get a word in. Jon told of his nomadic childhood which made it difficult to put down roots in any church. He then told them that I had been at Johnson Memorial United Methodist Church in Huntington, WV, my entire life and that was the church we both now attended.

Haley and Chloe talked to Jon about the retreat, but Emily and I went a bit deeper into our upbringing. To be honest, I didn’t give her a chance to say much because I wanted her to know how Jesus had come into my life at an early age and how God’s love had sustained me in times of trouble. As it turned out, I answered the very questions that she had been sent out to ask.

Did God send them to us - or us to them?   And how awesome was it that it took place by the seashore? All I know is that Jon and I were there to be “caught” by these young fishermen. I hope that as time passes, they will remember the old couple by the sea who were eager to talk about God’s love. Maybe they will be “caught” by some young fishermen, too.

Heavenly Father, thank You for all of those, young and old, who follow Your teachings and become fishers of people. Help us to overcome our inhibitions and follow their lead. In Your name we pray.

Amen
Becky Warren

No comments: