Saturday, May 25, 2019

Devotional 5-24-19

Falling Apart
 
I have a terrible fear of heights. I haven’t always had it. There were times in my youth that I climbed neighborhood trees, dived off of the Riverside Club high diving board, and found myself on the roof of Meadows Elementary School. But sometime during my teen years, I found I could no longer do any of those things.

When I began driving, I noticed that I became very apprehensive if I didn’t know exactly where I would end up because steep roadways scared me beyond reason. When I learned to snow ski, I was very cognizant of black diamond signs that could lead me to certain death, or at least certain pain! I have never sought professional help for my phobia, but I suspect it has something to do with being a control freak. Anyway, because of my fear, I shy away from trips to Gatlinburg or celebrations of the New River Gorge Bridge Day!

Recently Jon and I attended his nephew’s wedding in Washington, DC. We decided to do some sight seeing while there, and I had already mentioned that I would not be taking the tiny elevator to the top of the Washington Monument. I couldn’t really think of any other “high” adventures to avoid, and he agreed to my terms.
We stayed in Arlington, Virginia, right across the Potomac River. I was really excited that we’d be taking the nearby subway into DC. We walked the few blocks to the Rosslyn Metro Station, purchased our Metro cards, and headed for the escalator. At the edge, I looked straight down 207 feet and froze. The black moving staircase was beckoning me to my death, and I was having none of it.

I looked at Jon and cried, “I can’t do this!” He didn’t hesitate. He didn’t cajole. He didn’t argue. He simply stepped in front of me, enfolded me in his arms, and said, “Close your eyes. I won’t let you fall.” I did as he said, knowing that he would keep me safe.
As we traveled into the bowels of the earth, a hymn from my childhood played in my head, and although I couldn’t remember all of the words, I knew it had to do with God holding me in his arms in times of trouble.

There are several stanzas, but the following are the ones that came to me that day.

“God Be with You till We Meet Again”
      By Jeremiah E. Rankin 1880

God be with you till we meet again;
by his counsels guide, uphold you,
with his sheep securely fold you;
God be with you till we meet again.

God be with you till we meet again;
when life’s perils thick confound you,
put his arms unfailing round you;
God be with you till we meet again.

If you’re falling apart due to grief, fear, addiction, or loneliness, my escalator story may sound trivial, but Jesus and his modern–day disciples guided me through some pretty frightening situations. They want to help. Let them put their arms around you. They won’t let you fall.

Heavenly Father, thank you for those you have sent to help me through times of trouble. Let me now be that disciple who enfolds someone who is falling apart and say, “Close your eyes. I won’t let you fall.”

Amen

Becky Warren

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved reading this one. Excellent devotional, Becky. This is a great one to submit to Guideposts!
Hugs,
Nita Campbell