Saturday, September 28, 2019

Devotional 9-28-19

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”   Romans12:12
"Continue earnestly in prayer. Being vigilant in it with thanksgiving.”  Colossians 4:2

Recently, I was reading The Secret of the Abiding Presence by Andrew Murray.  He has a chapter,  “The Power of Intercession” in which he writes about the value of united intercessory prayer. Never had I thought of prayer in quite that way.  One prayer adds to another and the effects are great.  Murray writes about the “superhuman energy” of such prayer.

Today I am thinking about our beloved country with its deep divisions, a country that needs badly united intercessory prayer. Our prayers might include ones for the healing of our nation, for those suffering at our border looking for asylum, Puerto Ricans seeking better government, members and friends in our church who grieve over the death of a loved one, those who are ill, jobless, and missionaries abroad and at home.

I believe that I am part of a congregation that prays, and I am thankful.  May we always “be one in the spirit” and, although we go different ways, let us pray united in the spirit, abounding in love.  Jesus has promised, “Surely I will be with you always.”
"Bless be the tie that binds
Our hearts in Christian love
The fellowship of kindred minds.
Is like to that above.” 

Martha Casey

No comments: