Friday, February 6, 2009

Devotional 2-6-09

Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.--Isaiah 40:26

The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?--J.B. Priestley

Many Sunday nights you can find me in worship in front of the TV, watching a show that doesn't preach the Gospel or promote any religion. The show is Nature on PBS stations. As I ponder these programs I am constantly in awe of a God who planned for glaciers and volcanoes, deserts and oceans, rain forests and mountain ranges. I see God's hand in a fig tree in Africa that could not exist without the pollination of a wasp so small it can fly through the eye of a needle. I see an amazing God in tiny hummingbirds who eat their weight in nectar every day and a 2-ton mother elephant who tenderly cares for her 300-pound baby.

I find it extremely sad that some people want to pit God against science. Albert Einstein said it better than I ever could: "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

As I am writing this, snow is blanketing our town again. It is beautiful, magical, pure. It is God.

Anita Gardner Farrell

No comments: