Friday, May 29, 2009

Devotional 5-29-09

Pentecost is about Testifying
John 15:26-27 (New International Version)

"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me. And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.
I am a weenie when it comes to testifying. How about you?

I don’t like to testify to my faith. Yeah, I know that I am a minister. I have hundreds of hours of seminars and conferences, a seminary degree, and over 30 years experience in visiting, preaching, and praying. I still feel awkward when I find that I am called upon.

I wish I had your excuses. You are just a lay person, you have heard sermons all your life, but you can’t really remember anything specific. You have only had one intensive Bible study, and it was over your head. Sunday school is a time to drink coffee and catch up on what your friends have been doing in the past week. You don’t like to talk in front of people and, besides, everyone you know is a Christian.

That is why Pentecost is my least favorite Christian Holiday. Did I say holiday? I am sorry -- it is my least favorite “Holy Day.” There are no gifts, no painted eggs, no candy. There is no special meal of turkey, ham, cakes, cookies, or even a fish fry. There are not even any special songs, cantatas, or children choir specials. Worse yet, I am supposed to wear the socially unacceptable bright red coat.

Nope, Pentecost is no fun. It is just about testifying. It is a time to pull out and wear our “I love Jesus” T-shirts. It is the day we stand in the line at the grocery store and tell the person in front and behind us that, “Jesus is the Bomb”. It is the day that you go outside into your yard and dance the “Jesus is Coming Again” shuffle.

Today is Pentecost. It is the day set aside to remember that we are not alone. God sent the Holy Spirit, the Holy Comforter, to be with us, to strengthen us, to empower us. It is a gift better than any other that has been bequeathed to us. It is a day to testify to our experience of God in our life. I am going to attempt to muster up the courage to testify to what the Holy Spirit has done in my life. I invite you to do the same.

Did I ever tell you about the time God……………

Rev. David Johnson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We "weenies" of the world offer you a big thanks for your confession (which I hear is good for the soul). It's comforting to know even the "pro's" struggle with professing faith in today's politically correct/incorrect culture.

Amy Inghram said...

David: Thanks for reminding us of our Faith Journey, including Pentecost. We are strengthened by it and filled with the power of the Holy Spirit. You have shown us your faith and we are blessed!

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring devotional. So easy to read, and so easy to relate to. You are certainly gifted in your writing, and I'm sure in your delivery as a minister.

Thanks for sharing your insecurities with all!