Thursday, February 17, 2011

Devotional 2-18-11

“Bragging about God”


How is your life different because you are a Christian? That is what I have been contemplating for the last two weeks. This has not been an easy task. I cannot remember a time that I did not believe in God. He was always there. But what if I hadn’t been raised in the church? What if my parents had not taught me to pray? How would my life be different? What different choices might I have made?

My faith grounds me. It gives me rules to follow. That’s good because I am a rules follower. I like knowing what the rules are -- knowing what is expected of me. I would like to say that I always follow these rules. Unfortunately the more I study the Bible and attend church, the more I find I need to work on. Hopefully this makes me less judgmental of others and keeps me humble when I invariably fall short. My faith gives me strength, not mine, but the strength that comes from God. I know God has carried me through some very difficult, very stressful times. My faith gives me peace, an inner core of calm. Yes, I get stressed. Can you be alive today and care about others and not be stressed occasionally? The difference is the inner core of peace that I can tap into during difficult times. The inner peace that come from God.

I believe that I am a different person than I would be without my faith. My priorities would be different and my values would be different, so I would have lived my life differently. I am a much happier person because of my faith. All of this is a gift from God. I need to thank Him for it all, but I also need to tell others that I don’t do things on my own--that what I do and who I am is with a lot of help from God!

So what about you? How would your life be different? How will you tell others? I will be saying, “With a lot of help from God!”

Margaret Williams

1 comment:

Angie Durbin said...

I really enjoyed this devotional. It made me stop and think about how different my life would be if my parents had not sent me to Sunday School and made me sit next to them in church. They obviously loved me! I cannot imagine what life would be like without God and I need to make a point of telling other people just that. Thanks for the insight!!