Thursday, October 20, 2011

Devotional 10-21-11

When I was in high school, I briefly attended a church in which congregants were encouraged to create their own harmonies to the songs and even add their own words.  There was a man who often sat close to the youth, whose name I don’t remember.  It was his singing that was unforgettable.  Despite being admittedly tone deaf, the man sang with reckless abandon.  I enjoyed his singing because of the deep-hearted love behind every atrocious note. 

Verse five of the hymn God, Whose Love Is Reigning o’er Us is as follows:

Lift we then our human voices in the songs that faith would bring;
live we then in human choices lives that, like our music, sing:
Alleluia, Alleluia, joined in love our praises ring!

 The verse makes no mention of perfect harmony or uniform sound.  The act of singing solidifies the faith, not the accuracy of the performance.  It is our responsibility to make our lives sing loud enough that others hear it, turn toward us, and hopefully join the singing.  The man I remember from my youth opened his mouth every week with thanksgiving.  I suppose he stays in my memory not as much for his awful singing but for his awesome faith.
Psalm 90 is one of many perfect prayers, saying in verse four, “O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.”  If we could only remember this prayer throughout the challenges and frustrations of the day.  Sometimes it is hard to choose the Christian action, especially when our thoughts are betraying us.  If we work harder to keep God in our hearts, we can ‘live in human choices’ that bring Him glory.  We need to ask Him to fill our hearts with spiritual contentment and joy:

Lord, thank you for every day, every person, and every thing with which you have blessed me.  Help me to be satisfied with your everlasting love so that my life sings your praises and helps others see you.  Amen.

Natalie Wray

No comments: