Friday, May 4, 2012

Devotional 5-4-12

I would like to share with you a recent experience of mine which confirmed to me once again that God is always with us and cares about everything we do or think or feel.

It was the evening before the first anniversary of my husband's death and I was feeling low in just about every possible way, emotionally, spiritually, physically. Each day in the week before the anniversary I had remembered the time one year ago when Keith was in hospital, in ICU, a time when we thought sure he would recover. Some days there were encouraging signs, a day when he was able to be off the ventilator, the day when he was able to use an IPad. But recovery was not to be.
Now, one year later, where to turn for comfort and strength. I felt devastated.
The Upper Room reading for this day had been from the Gospel of John,Chapter 14. I reread it and at first could not find the help and comfort I was seeking.Then I realized that what I needed was staring me in the face, in V.1, ."Let not your heart be troubled; ye believe in God, believe also in me" and again in V.27, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you, not as the world giveth give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid".
I began to feel energized, to get up out of my chair, to stop feeling sorry for myself, to expect God's help. Help came in the form of an email with photos of the newest family member, little one-year-old Alison, a bright and smiling example of God's love. Help came in the form of a telephone call with an answer I had been seeking. Help came in the knowledge that He is always there to give physical strength to comfort both emotionally and spiritually.
How blessed that our great Got cares about each one of us so much that He is always there for us to give us strength and hope and comfort. We just have to seek Him."

Jean Dean

No comments: