Friday, May 6, 2016

Devotional 5-6-16

It is way too easy to become complacent about our lives. As I read and listen to Bible stories, I can identify with different characters. Putting myself in the story makes it more personal. I’m not just reading a nice story, I’m living it. When i’m being honest with myself I often identify with the wrong person in the story.

I would like to think of myself as Mary sitting at Jesus’ feet. In truth, I’m really more like Martha worrying about making Jesus’ visit perfect. (Luke 10: 38-42) When Jesus tried to tell the disciples what the future held for him, Peter assured Jesus that “This shall never happen to you!” (Mathew 16: 22) I would be Peter comforting a friend, but having no earthly idea what I was talking about--talking when I should be listening. I would be Peter denying Jesus not once, not twice, but  three times! (Luke 22: 54-64) Yes, I could be Peter,  terrified that what was happening to Jesus would happen to me.

I could go on and on. The point is that in reading and hearing these stories I can see areas in my own life that need work. I hear Him say to me, as He said to Martha, “You are worried about many things, but only one is needed. Mary has chosen the better, and it will not be taken from her.” (Luke 10:41) I remember His rebuke of Peter, telling him to, “Get behind me Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of man.” (Mathew 16: 23)

The good news is Jesus loved and forgave each of them, even as he corrected them. He does the same for each of us.

Margaret Williams

No comments: