Friday, June 1, 2018

Devotional 6-1-18

WWJD?
(What Would Jesus Do?)

Mark 3:31-35 Common English Bible
31 His |Jesus’| mother and brothers arrived. They stood outside and sent word to him, calling for him. 32 A crowd was seated around him, and those sent to him said, “Look, your mother, brothers, and sisters are outside looking for you.”
33 He replied, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” 34 Looking around at those seated around him in a circle, he said, “Look, here are my mother and my brothers. 35 Whoever does God’s will is my brother, sister, and mother.”

Take me out to the ballgame! Take me out with the crowd… Ah, springtime! A time for shorts, iced tea, and softball! I have been lucky enough this year to have a grandson playing Little League baseball, a granddaughter playing Little League softball, and a daughter and son-in-law coaching her team.  I haven’t been to all of the games, but I’ve certainly attended enough to realize that whether one is coaching, playing, or umpiring, baseball is not easy. But as Jimmy Dugan said in A League of Their Own, “It’s the hard that makes it great.”

The last game I attended was Ruby’s softball game at Hite Saunders Field. Her team, the Clemson Tigers, played Coca-Cola. They met on the Friday leading into the Memorial Day Weekend. We had a couple of girls missing, but that was nothing compared to Coke. They had only six to take the field.

When our coaches realized the problem, they offered to have a Tiger help out, and Ruby was chosen to play right field. She didn’t make any great plays for the other team, but she did retrieve a ball or two. As she left right field to go to her short stop position, I yelled to her, “That’s what Jesus would have done!” Ruby just laughed and waved. She knew that I was happy that she had done the right thing.

Although my experience watching girls’ softball is limited, I think that the adults and the girls themselves try to keep the games positive. The coaches encourage all of the players and make team work the focus rather than the score. The girls chant and sing in the dugout, but the chants are about building up their players rather than tearing down the other team. And the parents and grandparents who sit around me are nothing but helpful to each other and compliment and encourage players on both teams.

If you think I’m being a Pollyanna about all of this, you may be right. It’s possible that I have missed the games when really hateful things were said, and I know that anyone who thinks that there’s no crying in softball is out of touch with reality.  Still I look forward to the next game. You see, I can’t wait for those young ladies to show me again just what Jesus would do. After all, they do belong to His family.

Heavenly Father, sometimes I get so tired of the trash talking and negative comments made on TV shows and social media. Thank You for the young girls and boys who have decided to enjoy the fellowship of others while learning to play a sport with confidence and skill. Thank You, also, for the coaches and other volunteers who help make the practices and games possible. May they all continue to show their love and respect for one another – for that is Your will for us all. In Your name I pray.
Amen

Becky Warren

No comments: