Sunday, October 11, 2020

Devotional 10-11-20

 A few weeks ago, I accidentally broke off a leaf of the little African Violet plant I had been tenderly caring for.  I put the leaf in some soil and kept it watered, not wanting to throw it away.  It turned a little brown around the edges; nothing happened. But surprisingly one day four tiny leaves began to appear! I hope to have another African violet plant someday!  Recently I read in a devotional book that to develop another plant, dip the stem in honey before putting it in the soil!

 
Some things such as our faith may grow slowly. Faith needs nurturing and “honey."  I believe my faith still is maturing after all this time. I feel more deeply the love of God.  This knowledge is life-changing. Jesus taught a great deal about love.  In the gospel of John, he said, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: Just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” (John 13:34, RSV).
 
The 13th-century English Bishop Saint Richard of Chichester wrote:
May I know Thee more clearly,
Love Thee more dearly,
Follow Thee more nearly.

 
Godspell follows the wording in Hymn 429 of the 1940  Methodist Hymnal:
Day by day,
Dear Lord, of thee three things I pray:
To see thee more clearly,
Love thee more dearly,
Follow thee more nearly,
Day by day.

 
Let us all  rejoice in the knowledge of the love of God.  Pray that we all may love well and live with a blessing to all, including all God’s creation.
 
Dear God, fill our hearts with kindness, our actions with caring, our spirits with gentleness, so that we may become more of what we ought to be, through Christ our Lord.                          
Amen
                             
Martha Casey

No comments: