Thursday, July 15, 2010

Devotional 7-16-10

Luke 10:38-42

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."

I had just finished unpacking my office, which had been a major chore. I couldn’t believe how much stuff that I had accumulated in so short of a time. Sally came to my office and looked around and said, “wow! This place is busy.” Busy, I thought, what did she mean? She told me that, “when it comes to decorating, less is more.” “Too much stuff is just clutter… it overwhelms the eye,” she said. “Think of it like your taking a picture. You can’t fit the whole world in it. Decide what is important and focus on it.”

I understand Martha. There always seems to be so much to do and so little time. Step into her shoes for a moment. She has a guest. She is trying to be hospitable. She is trying to get everything ready. She is probably even remembering all the stuff in the Scripture about hospitality and welcoming the stranger. She is trying to do what is right.

And then there is Mary… sitting there doing nothing (are you thinking of the word lazy?). So much to do and Mary won’t even help. Surely Jesus believes in helping others. Surely he will tell Mary to lend a hand. Surely Jesus knows how important servant ministry is.

Jesus, however, does no such thing. Instead he says to Martha, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted about many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.” Mary chose the better part? Doing nothing is better? But Mary wasn’t doing nothing was she? She wasn’t passive; Mary was active. She was spending time with Jesus.

But back to Martha… before you think Jesus was harsh, think about his words: worried and distracted. Jesus is concerned about Martha (and all of us Marthas).

I can hear Sally saying, “this place is busy… focus.” If you could only fit one thing into the picture what would it be? Cooking, cleaning, or relationship? We have grocery lists and to do lists and Christmas wish lists. But where is our relationship list? Our lives can become so cluttered and so busy (like my office) that we lose our focus… our sense of what is important.

“Martha, Martha,” Jesus says to all of us Marthas, “you are worried and distracted about many things; there is need of only one thing.” But Jesus, I have so much that has to be done. My list is still full. But somewhere in my heart, I know that my words are correct, but not in the way that I meant them. I do have much to do. Should I start with a visit to my parents, a romantic dinner with my spouse, a bicycle ride with my kids, or an invitation to the neighbor to dinner at our house? Who knows, I might even find time to spend with God?

Rev. David Stackpole

No comments: