Thursday, September 2, 2010

Devotional 9-3-10

Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress; he led them by a straight way, till they reached a city to dwell in. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to the sons of men! -- Psalm 107:6-8
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--The Road Not Taken
Robert Frost (1874-1963)
I just returned from taking my youngest son to Boston University. The night before he left, his oldest brother, who went to college in New York City, gave him some advice for living in a big city. First, he said, don't take the same route when walking from place to place--go a block out of your way or get off of the subway a stop early so you are always seeing new neighborhoods and exploring new territory. Second, don't walk around with earphones in, rather, listen to the sounds of the city.

I was thinking that this might be good advice for our spiritual lives as well. Do you read the same devotional materials all the time? Maybe it's time to try something new. Sing the same hymns continually? Try some new ones (hopefully the choir will lead us!). I'm sure we all have our favorite books of the Bible. You might be surprised what's waiting for you in the ones you usually skip over. This past year I read The Shack. I really didn't think I'd like it. I can honestly say I set out not to like it, but, surprise, I loved it and felt that it really spoke to me.

I don't walk around with earphones, but I'll admit I turn on the radio as soon as I get in the car and usually turn on the TV or radio as soon as I walk in the house. That background noise just seems necessary for some reason. However, when I'm outside walking the dog or working in the yard I like to listen to the sounds of nature. I often say I do my best thinking and perhaps my best communicating with God when I'm mowing the grass. The sound of the mower shuts everything else out and I can get down to what's really on my mind. We like to talk to God but we also need to listen for God. How can we hear the "still small voice" when we are bombarding our ears with all manner of sounds?

"Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" -- Psalm 46:10
Anita Gardner Farrell

No comments: