Friday, August 17, 2012

Devotional 8-17-12

"Living With a Thankful, Joyous Heart"

Earlier this summer we experienced major power outages accompanied by extreme heat. I was very impressed by the patience, ingenuity, and generosity most people displayed during this difficult time. I heard a lot more people talking about being thankful for what they had than griping about what they lacked. During those extraordinary circumstances we lived with thankful, generous hearts.

But, what about the regular days? Do we live with thankful hearts? In a Garfield cartoon, Jon announces that it has been a good day. Garfield looks surprised and says, “It has? I must have missed it.” How many good days do we miss just because we weren’t paying attention? How many gifts or blessings from God have we missed because we failed to stop our busy lives long enough to acknowledge them and thank God for them?

My youngest grandson, Mace, has a saying, “This has been the best day evah!” At 6 he has a lot of ‘best day evah’s.’ I bet we all could if we just slow down, take time to count our blessings, and live every day with a thankful, joyous heart!

Margaret Williams

1 comment:

Maudie Karickhoff said...

Margaret,
Thank you for the very meaningful devotion that you wrote. You reminded me that I am so blessed and should never have reason to complain.

I also noticed the helpfulness and friendliness of people during that days that we were without electricity.

I do hope you are well. I will call you the next time we have communion.

Maudie Karickhoff