Friday, August 24, 2012

Devotional 8-24-12


He Cares About the Little Things

Friday, June 29, 2012, the day of the derecho. Temperatures in Huntington reaching 102 degrees, forest fires raging in Colorado, flooding in Florida and a huge thunderstorm approaching the tri-state from the west. It hit about 6:45PM, gale force winds, trees and tree limbs falling, power outages all over West Virginia. No electricity, no air conditioning, no lights, none of the conveniences we take for granted daily.

If you are like me and depend on air conditioning to get you through our Ohio Valley summers, this is going to be a problem if they don't get the power back on soon.

Darkness descends and I fumble around for a flashlight. Wouldn't you know the big heavy duty flashlight needs new Size D batteries, and I don't have any. I'm grateful for the little flashlight I keep in my car. It doesn't give much light. but it's better than nothing. I go to bed hoping that sometime during the night I will be awakened by the lights coming on.

That doesn't happen and Saturday morning looms with the prospect of another sweltering day. What I wouldn't give for my morning cup of hot tea! I pray, "Dear Lord, how am I going to cope with another day of 100 degree heat and no air conditioning". I feel like I am in panic mode.

I tell myself to stop whining and remember how much worse it must be for those fighting the forest fires, for those having to leave their homes as the flood waters rise. I am chastened but nevertheless I pray, "Please Lord put the power back on". He knows and numbers the very hairs of our head so I know He cares for our everyday problems.

I hear the chainsaws roaring, chopping up tree limbs which have downed power lines and blocked roads. I wonder if this means we will be back on line soon. I think maybe I should drive somewhere, at least my car has air conditioning. The day drags on, hot, hot, hot. What a wimp I am for complaining so. It is far worse for others.

Later that day as I stand at my dining room table, suddenly the chandelier lights blaze on. "Oh, dear Lord, thank you, thank you, thank you". I run from room to room saying over and over again, "thank you, thank you, Lord".

You may think I made a big deal over a small problem, but I share this with you to say that every day our Saviour loves us so much that He takes care of our every concern, little problems, big problems, intimate problems, family problems, every problem. Take them to Him, He understands, He cares, He will answer. Believe!

Luke 12, vs. 6, 7 Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Jean Dean

No comments: