Thursday, September 5, 2013

Devotional 9-6-13

Love our friends, Love our enemies!!!
Philemon 1:4-7
When I remember you in my prayers, I always thank my God because I hear of your love for all the saints and your faith toward the Lord Jesus. I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective when you perceive all the good that we  may do for Christ. I have indeed received much joy and encouragement from your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, my brother. (NRSV)

When I read these words above from Paul I cannot help but think of all our JM family and the many acts of good that you do for all those in our congregation and for those not in the congregation. Loving our friends!!

Then I read these words below from Dietrich Bonhoeffer about loving our enemies.  And my thoughts turned not to my enemies or even if anyone else has an enemy (do any of us have enemies?), but to the affairs occurring in our world today.  Now I am not making a political statement here but just asserting how we should treat others.

Are we not being encouraged or even lead by Paul’s words above and those of Dietrich Bonhoeffer below to do good and fill the needs of others -- of even those we call enemy?  When we do this we will be sharing our Christian love for all we encounter. This love received may just be the strength people need to help change their situations from within. Just by showing one simple act of love for someone else, even an enemy. Love our enemy!!

Words and thoughts are not enough. Doing good involves all the things of daily life. “If your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink” (Romans 12:20). In the same ways that brothers and sisters stand by each other in times of need, bind up each other’s wounds, ease each other’s pain, love of the enemy should do good to the enemy. Where in the world is there greater need, where are deeper wounds and pain than those of our enemies? Where is doing good more necessary and more blessed than for our enemies? (40 Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer)

“Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.” Luke 6:27-28

Pray that your “enemies” might receive every good from the hand of God and in response become instruments of God’s love and justice. (40 Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer)

Prayer for Today
Holy God, who loves us all with an everlasting love, let my love for my enemies be a matter not only of words or thoughts but of specific and concrete actions. (40 Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer)
Fred Herr

No comments: