Friday, October 18, 2013

Devotional 10-18-13

I’m pretty sure I speak for most parents in saying the birth of a child is in many ways the most intense experience of love.  When baby Devon was born six years ago, there was no doubt that we loved her.   Instead of the usual quick tests and then time in our arms, Devon had extensive evaluations and treatment in the neonatal intensive care unit.  The attached wires and tubes made it nearly impossible to hold her, so we didn’t do much of it in her first few days.  We went to see her quite a bit, but it seemed like every visit was another opportunity for the hospital staff to tell us about something else that was wrong with her.  I found myself reluctant to hold her.   I didn’t realize that I was protecting myself in the event that we might lose her.  For many reasons, though, this bonding issue resolved itself in a very short period of time.

I look back at all the relationships I have had throughout my life to this point.  I certainly don’t like some of the things I did or said, but I would never say I regret having met any of those people.  I am glad to have had an experience with every single one of them, including those with whom things did not end well.  A few that come to mind are a college roommate, a church acquaintance, and a middle school student.  In all cases, there are memories that still make me smile.

As I did at first with infant Devon, we all spend so much of our energy trying to protect ourselves from pain, but we are also avoiding some of the most fulfilling relationships.   There are people we see every day, but one reason or another will keep us from going just that extra inch to reach out to them. I am confident that when I make a connection with someone, I’m sometimes the one who most needs the relationship or the one for whom God has put the opportunity in place.  Why not choose just one this year?  Take the time to listen to what God wants for you and how He wants to use a new friendship.  My prayer is that we all take full advantage of the love that He provides everyday through one another, and that He strengthens the Church through us.

Above all, maintain constant love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins.  Be hospitable to one another without complaining. Like good stewards of the manifold grace of God, serve one another with whatever gift each of you has received. (1 Peter 4:8-10)

Natalie Wray

No comments: