Saturday, January 18, 2014

Devotional 1-19-14

I Corinthians 1:1-9

In the lectionary for this week is this introduction of Paul to what is called his first letter to the church at Corinth.  Paul, and those who mimicked his style, open their letters with gracious remembrances of people in the churches and express thanksgiving for them and the work they are doing to advance the causes of Christ where they are.  Later in First Corinthians comes the "love chapter" (I Cor. 13), known and loved by many.

I close my eyes and imagine the congregation, gathered, perhaps in someone's home, to hear someone read aloud Paul's letter.  In my mind's eye, I see those gathered sitting up straighter -- perhaps standing more erectly -- as the graceful compliments and good wishes from Paul are read.   "I give thanks to God always for you because of the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, that in every way you were enriched in him with all speech and all knowledge even as the testimony to Christ was confirmed among you  so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ," wrote Paul.

John Wesley commented on the last verse of this section that Paul is assuring the folk at Corinth that God is faithful to all his promises.  Wesley's commentary says that God's promise is that through Christ, they (and we) will be found guiltless before God, "a pledge," says Wesley, "of his willingness to save you unto the uttermost."

Is it arrogant of me to say that I love to stand with Paul in giving thanks for the people of my congregation and in thanking God for the grace which God has given us all in Jesus Christ?  Can you say that you give thanks to God for the folk that make up the congregation of which you are a part?  Are you a vital part of the body of Christ that has the task of bearing witness to him in a crazy world?  When was the last time you offered God thanks for the gift of Jesus Christ who erases our sin and presents us faultless before God? Pray for your congregation today.  Pray for your pastors and other leaders across the Church.  Pray -- and work -- for God's mercy and hospitality in a hostile world.  Pray that we all would be evidence to the world of the grace of God offered through our Lord Jesus Christ.  

Holy Lord, thank you for my church.  Thank you for those who labor with me in the fields of your kingdom. Thank you for your promises of eternal life with you.  In Christ I pray.  Amen.

Rev. Jack Lipphardt

No comments: