Friday, May 16, 2014

Devotional 5-15-14

Wearing of the Cross

My Sister and I were talking about my daughter’s birthday.  I told her that I gave Kimberly a sterling silver cross.  My sister, who is a Christian, told me that she could no longer wear a cross after hearing her minister’s sermon on the wearing of the cross. I found that very disturbing since I have always worn crosses.  So I got on line to do some research.  I found that there are definitely different schools of thought on the subject.  To some it is the same as wearing an electric chair around the neck.  The cross is considered an instrument of death.  I read where some people have been fired for wearing a cross to work. I read that some people had to sue their employers for the right to wear their crosses. I learned that some felt that wearing of the cross represented a dead Christ while others felt it represented a   Risen Christ.

I have always worn my crosses because my Savior died on the cross for me.  He rose from the dead to show that there is life after death and that I will someday meet my mother and father again.  I cannot imagine anyone telling me that I cannot wear it. I guess it is a personal choice of all.  I told my sister that perhaps she could wear a Fish pendant instead of a cross.  By the way, I have one of those, too.

Luke 9:23  And he said to them all, if any man will come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

Carol Brown

No comments: