Friday, September 12, 2014

Devotional 9-12-14

“My Fathers World”

One of my husband and my favorite things to do is to hike. Hiking is good for you--body, mind, and soul. It is hard to walk through the woods and not think of God. Fields of wild flowers, breath taking vistas, awesome rock formations, birds singing in the trees lift our hearts. Perfectly formed spider webs glistening in the morning sun, mushrooms that look more like flowers, and frogs smaller than my thumb nail touch our very souls. The lyrics to “This is My Fathers World” by Maltbie D. Babcock are said to be inspired by his love of hiking.

“This Is My Fathers World”

“This is my Fathers world, and to my listening ears
All nature sings and round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Fathers world: I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
His hands the wonders wrought.
 
This is my Fathers world, the birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white, declare their makers praise.
This is my Fathers world, He shines on all thats fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass;
He speaks to me everywhere.”

Burned into the wall of the cabin we often rent is an Indian saying:

“In order to Honor Him
I must honor
His works in nature”

This truly is our Fathers world. It is only on loan to us. We honor Him by appreciating and caring for His world--the rocks, the trees, the skies, the seas and all that dwell there in.

Margaret Williams

No comments: