Friday, September 19, 2014

Devotional 9-19-14

Happy is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors.  (Proverbs 8:34)

But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. (Romans 8:25)

A thousand ages in Thy sight
Are like an evening gone;
Short as the watch that ends the night
Before the rising sun.
--Isaac Watts


Last year I bought a basket of New Guinea Impatiens. I loved the unusual light lavender color of the blooms. I kept the plants alive over the winter and put them back outside this spring. The greenery did fine but the blooms didn't return. May, June, July--no blooms. I didn't give up; kept watering them and in August was rewarded with more of the delicate lavender flowers. Now, as many of my summer flowers are starting to look a little tired and puny, these New Guinea Impatiens are adding beauty to my yard, indeed, to my life.

I think there's a moral here. Sometimes we just have to wait. Hope and wait. God does not desert us during the times of waiting. We need to discipline ourselves to wait and be patient.
 
Therefore the LORD waits to be gracious to you;
    therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you.
For the LORD is a God of justice;
    blessed are all those who wait for him. --Isaiah 30-18

Anita Gardner Farrell

No comments: