Friday, August 14, 2015

Devotional 8-14-15

God, It’s Me

Proverbs 3:5-6  Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

God, it’s me, Becky. I’m in trouble. Can you help me? I don’t know what to do!

Now just calm down. What seems to be the problem?

I’m ...anxious,EXTREMELY anxious!  I can’t sit down. I can’t lie down. I can’t even sit still for a foot rub! That never happens. SOB, SOB, SNORT, SOB...

When did your problems start?

Earlier in the week I noticed that my blood pressure medication was a different shape. I checked the label and it was the right generic name, so I thought nothing more of it. Later I felt dizzy a few times, but I blamed it on the heat. I am getting up there, you know. I felt claustrophobic in my own house, but going outside didn’t make me feel much better. And the crying! I sobbed during Last Comic Standing. That’s just not normal!

So when these things happened, what did you do? Did you go to the doctor to check it out? Did you go to the pharmacy to be sure you had the right prescription? 

I prayed to you... I figured you could fix me much faster than those other guys. Don’t you remember me asking for help? I was the one weeping in the Walmart parking lot.

As a matter of fact I do recollect something about that now. I also know what I answered. You know, prayer is a two-way conversation. If you ask me for something, wait for the answer!  In your case, I told you to see your doctor! Now you’ve waited until late evening, so you’ll need to go to the ER. I’ve seen your tithe, so I’m fairly certain you don’t need to be spending that kind of money.

Will you go with me?

Do you really need to ask? I go everywhere with you. But Don’s going to have to go, too. He will wait in the waiting room, wait when you fall asleep in the hospital room, and then wait to pay the bill. It’s a good thing you listened when I answered about him! Now let’s go get you straightened out. We all need our beauty sleep.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, you have given us everything we need to have a wonderful life. When we are anxious and ask for your help, don’t be afraid to put a neon sign and arrow next to our brothers and sisters. The sign might say, “ Because I love you, I trained these people to help you. Let them. Your loving God.”

Amen
Becky Warren

1 comment:

Debra Sparks-Kinsey said...

Yes, you are just like the rest of us. We do expect God to "fix" things that we can take care of ourselves. Good reminder for us to actually listen and do things that God wants us to do. Thank you for this.