Friday, October 16, 2015

Devotional 10-16-15

He’s My Brother

Mark 12:41-44 He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

Last year my husband, Don, and I decided it was time to get piggy banks for our grandchildren. Since we have a date with them every Saturday night, we have always made sure to have two dollar bills, eight quarters, or twenty dimes to be stuffed into the heads of Darth Vader of Star Wars and Starlight Sparkle of My Little Pony fame.

Recently we had noticed that it was getting more difficult to make a deposit, so we unplugged Darth and Starlight and let the contents spill out onto the floor. As we exchanged the ones and change into five and ten dollar bills, we explained to Ruby that she had the same amount even though it looked like less. Landon, the older of the two, nodded his head to assure her that we were telling the truth.

Just before we replaced the plugs, Landon extracted a bill. We saw Abraham Lincoln’s face and then Landon’s. He smiled and asked if he could take it home to his brother, Jesse. “He’s trying to save up for a new bike,” he said.

I could feel my mouth forming the word “no” when I heard Don ask Landon if he was sure that was what he wanted to do. Landon explained that Jesse had helped him get his bike. This would at least get Jesse closer to his goal.

When Anna picked the kids up the next morning, Don made sure that Landon had his five dollar bill. I was so glad that I had not been allowed to ruin a moment when my grandson felt the need to give to another.

Prayer - lyrics by Frances Ridley Havergal
Dear Lord,
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose.

Amen


Becky Warren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this. A wonderful moment.