Friday, July 7, 2017

Devotional 7-7-17

Surrender
 
Lectionary Readings:  Genesis 24: 34-67; Psalm 45: 10-17; Psalm 72; Romans 7: 15-25; Matthew 11: 16-30
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11: 25-30

Life is like a roller coaster – multiple ups and downs, twists and turns.  Sometimes there doesn’t seem to be any resting place or even a slower pace.  I knew life was going by quickly, but the world seems to be speeding out of control these days.  I make matters worse by trying to change each situation myself.  I try to push and pull through until I am hopelessly tangled in the mess:  Saying the wrong things;  Interfering when I should stand back;  Spreading my opinions and agenda, not the love of God.

God keeps reminding me, though, (Sometimes gently and sometimes very loudly--but always persistently) that all I need to do is join with him and let Him take the lead.  When a lone ox is harnessed into the yoke, the ox just goes around in circles, because the yoke is so heavy.  The ox cannot get a bearing on balancing the load and moving forward.  Only when the oxen are attached to the yoke as a twosome, is the weight of the yoke and the load balanced so they can move forward with their task.  It’s a picture that makes so much sense, but in practice is so difficult to follow.  I can’t seem to relinquish my illusion of control for the assistance of the Master.

Jesus tried all through the Gospels to teach us about the power of God and to learn to trust Him in our daily walk.  The parables and the examples such as this one help to make things clearer.  God also sends messengers through the ages who preach and teach and share their thoughts through their writings.  God most especially uses music to help us learn more about our relationship with God.  George F. Handel used this passage from Matthew in his famous oratorio, The Messiah.  The words are first sung in a solo which is followed by a chorus singing “His yoke is easy and His burden is light.”  When the words and music are wafting through my brain, the message becomes clearer.  My role is to surrender.  But, NOT as a brain-dead zombie!!  He wants a thinking-doing follower who puts love into action.

God promises “rest”.  We tend to think of rest as an absence of activity.  But in reality, God promises that if we surrender, we can be freed from the ruts of worry and brooding. He will provide direction and strength to persevere.  Surrender, like forgiveness of sins and giving thanks is a daily activity.  We are called to awake each day and surrender to God all that the day holds.  We ask, not for an easy burden, but the strength to carry what we are given, knowing that we are not alone and the burden is always shared.

Dear Loving and Forgiving Father, please continue to send us messages to guide and teach us.  Hear our prayers as we ask for your understanding and eternal patience as we learn these lessons again and again.  Thank you for your love and for always giving us another chance to change.  Help us to surrender daily so that we might serve you by sharing your love through our words and our actions.  AMEN

Chyrl Budd

No comments: