Friday, September 29, 2017

Devotional 9-28-17

I have never turned away a stranger
but have opened my doors to everyone. --Job 31:31

Let someone else praise you, not your own mouth—
stranger, not your own lips. --Proverbs 27: 2

With her permission, I am sharing a Facebook post from my niece Kerry who is a social worker in Columbus, Ohio:

Friends. I have just had what might be the single most delightful conversation of my life with Ms. Ann Smith, an 80 year old woman dining next to me at Lavash. She struck up a conversation about an Uber Eats sign and we spent at least the next half hour (maybe longer) talking. She told me all about the 26 day trip she took for her 80th birthday which included a week-long cruise on the Columbia River even though she couldn't get anyone to go on the cruise with her. Next month she's going on a cruise around Portugal and Spain with a woman she just met. We talked about politics, and my job, and bad drivers, and so many other things. Several times I had to stop myself from weeping with joy at connecting with this woman. She reminded me of my grandmother. My 36th birthday is in about six weeks and when I told her she was inspiring me to consider a solo trip of my own, she told me I was "just a child" and that I should practice self-care and do things to find joy. And I feel so wonderful about it all that I just had to share with the internet. One million heart emojis could not convey how this chat with a stranger warmed my heart.


Afterwards, Ms. Smith came back and stuffed a note, about a restaurant in the area that has yummy desserts and a happy upcoming birthday message, also $7--so Kerry could treat herself on her birthday. This from a total stranger!

I told my niece that I have rarely been disappointed when striking up a conversation with a stranger.

Several years ago, I heard a story about Egypt on NPR. The reporter told about an average Egyptian coffee shop. Rather than single tables, there were long tables where strangers were forced to sit together. Patrons actually talked to each other rather than burying their noses in their phones or laptops.

Can you make someone's day by simply engaging in conversation? Think of what you might be missing by not.

For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. --Matthew 25:35
Anita Gardner Farrell

No comments: