Friday, September 8, 2017

Devotional 9-8-17

With a Voice of Singing
Psalm 149
Praise the Lord!
Sing to the Lord a new song,
    his praise in the assembly of his faithful people.
Let Israel rejoice in their Maker;
    let the people of Zion be glad in their King.
Let them praise his name with dancing
    and make music to him with timbrel and harp.
For the Lord takes delight in his people;
    he crowns the humble with victory.
Let his faithful people rejoice in this honor
    and sing for joy on their beds.

When I was about five years old, I did something wonderful! I joined the Johnson Memorial Carol Girls Choir. I remember one of our first anthems was “Come Christians Join and Sing,” and I was so proud when the Carol Girls and Wesley Boys Choirs presented it to the congregation. From that very first performance, I was hooked.

When I graduated to junior high school, I became a member of the Crusader Choir, and with high school came membership into the Chapel Choir. With each graduation brought anthems with greater difficulty and deeper meaning. Those anthems helped me understand the scriptures in a way nothing else did.

I’m now a member of JM’s Sanctuary Choir, and I still get goose bumps when we are sight-reading an especially beautiful anthem. I may love the melody, or the words may move me to tears. Either way, singing God’s praises brings joy. It was true when this psalm was written. It is true today.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, we are thankful for all You have given us. We are also thankful for the ways we can praise Your name. Let us praise Your name with dancing, instruments of all kinds, and, of course, singing! In Your name we pray. Amen
Becky Warren

No comments: