Friday, March 23, 2018

Devotional 3-23-18

Dancing with the Grizzly
 
Psalm 31:9-16 (NRSV)
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress;
    my eye wastes away from grief,
    my soul and body also.
10 For my life is spent with sorrow,
    and my years with sighing;
my strength fails because of my misery,
    and my bones waste away.
11 I am the scorn of all my adversaries,
    a horror to my neighbors,
an object of dread to my acquaintances;
    those who see me in the street flee from me.
12 I have passed out of mind like one who is dead;
    I have become like a broken vessel.
13 For I hear the whispering of many—
    terror all around!—
as they scheme together against me,
    as they plot to take my life.
14 But I trust in you, O Lord;
    I say, “You are my God.”
15 My times are in your hand;
    deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors.
16 Let your face shine upon your servant;
    save me in your steadfast love.

I hope you actually read the psalm written above before dropping down here to read my words. If you didn’t, go back and do it now. I’ll wait.

I know. It’s depressing. As a matter of fact, if you read this in the Common English Bible Version, the words “in distress” are replaced by the word depressed. That was why I tried to write about five other scriptures before I was led back to this one. Remember in last week’s devotional when Jeff Taylor said he chose his dog, Cooper, and Cooper chose him? Well, this scripture chose me, so I had no choice but to choose it right back.

When you read the words above, what did you see in your mind’s eye? I saw what I see daily in Huntington, WV, and what you probably see wherever you live.  A young woman in need of warm clothing and a bath is accompanied by an unkempt young man carrying a backpack. They are probably homeless, hungry, and addicted.

I have no personal knowledge of their lifestyle, but I’ve read enough and have gone to enough young adult funerals to know that even though they chose the drug, the drug is now in charge.

I could tell them to pray for healing, practice self-control, just say no, but that would sound rather lame coming from one who can’t even stop biting her fingernails. I could also tell them that my thoughts and prayers are with them, but those would not get them into a rehab program.

A headline in today’s Herald Dispatch newspaper says, “Wayne County groups tackling addiction issues.” “Coalfield Development Company, Stepping Stones Inc. and the Wayne County Economic Development Corporation are collaborating to provide guidance, support, and connections to disengaged youth ages 16-21 so that each will reach their potential and prosper.”

Reach their potential? We just hope they reach the next birthday. Their time is truly in God's hand.

Individually these agencies have hit dead ends when trying to help addicted youth. Now they hope that sharing information and resources will enable those addicted to find the way out. Collaboration is the name of the game. We must be part of that collaboration.

My family has a saying that applies to this task.  “You can’t stop dancing with the grizzly bear just because you’re tired.” No, you won’t find it in the Bible, but if we are to end the opioid cycle, we must be willing to do whatever it takes. We must be willing to offer our prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness. We made a promise long ago. We must keep that promise.

Would you join me in singing or praying the last stanza of the hymn “Draw Us in the Spirit’s Tether”? (The United Methodist Hymnal p.632)

All our meals and all our living make as sacraments of thee, that by caring, helping, giving, we may true disciples be. Alleluia! Alleluia! We will serve thee faithfully.

Amen
Becky Warren

No comments: