Friday, March 30, 2018

Devotional 3-30-18

Never Again

I like the gadgets. I like the cars. Perhaps it’s the fact that one particular super-secret agent debuted to the cinema going public the same year that I debuted to the world that I have an affinity for the character of James Bond. Sean Connery was that Bond. I have seen every one of his movies (many times) including the one he made twelve years after his ‘last’ one saying - Never Again > Never Say Never Again. Great movie…great title.

Work, friendship, church, school, sports, vacation, a purchase, a speeding ticket, an interaction with our children…a thousand different scenarios in our lives that have resulted in the same exasperated exhale – Never Again.

Christ came to earth to help – and instead of welcome, endured some very awful things. How easy would it have been to say, “You people don’t get it. This last week has been terrible. I’m going home. Never Again.”

But we know that that is not how the story goes. I give Jesus a thousand reasons every day to abandon me. But it is never, “Look how this guy behaves. Look how he treats others. After all I’ve done for him. Never Again!”

Perhaps a shift is in order – bring it to the front; Never Again will I walk by someone I think needs help. Never Again will I judge someone because of what I “think” is happening in their life. Never Again will I fire back with a mean comment without stopping to collect myself first. Never Again will I be the instigator of gossip. Never Again…

Psalm 118; 24 says, This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Never Again will I take the gift of Easter for granted.
Steve Matthews

No comments: