Friday, August 10, 2018

Devotional 8-10-18

“Ask for the Best” 

Lectionary Readings:  1Kings 2:10-12, 3:3-14; Psalm 111; Ephesians 5: 15-20; & John 6: 51-58

“At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.”  Solomon answered:.…So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong.”  1 Kings 3: 5, 9.

Wow! What a mighty God! What a fantastic dream!  Despite the information that Solomon’s request took place in a dream, we are told a few verses later that God granted Solomon’s request.  In addition to a wise and discerning heart, God also granted Solomon many riches, honor, and a long life.  The only stipulation required was for Solomon to walk in God’s ways and obey his statutes and commands just as David had done before him.  God wanted the very best for Solomon and he wants the best for us as well.  However, we don’t always ask for God’s best gifts. Are we missing something in our daily prayers and conversations with God???

I realize that Solomon had recently become king and was probably feeling the responsibilities of leadership that I will (thankfully) never experience.  But I think it was an extremely smart move on Solomon’s part to request wisdom/discernment.  He asked for the character trait that would give him what he needed most to become a great leader.  Do we ask God to mold our character so that we might do his bidding more effectively? Have I asked for all that God is willing to bestow?

Solomon was not a perfect man or leader, but he accomplished a great deal during his reign including building the magnificent Temple in Jerusalem.  Also according to Bible scholars, Solomon is credited with many of the wise sayings of the Book of Proverbs.  He lived a long life and was recognized as a wise and compassionate ruler—perhaps wiser than all the other kings of the earth (1 Kings 10: 23).  He accomplished all that he did because he continued to obey God and to worship Him as he had been commanded.

I find myself feeling a little jealous of Solomon. What does he have that I don’t?  I know, I know…you don’t have to list the ways our situations are different.  But what might God grant me if I asked for wisdom or some other character trait that would allow me to be of greater service to others? Have I asked for God’s “Best Gift” for me??   First of all, I know I could at least spend more time in conversation with God.  I need to listen more to the messages God is sending me.  I need to be more intentional and regular about daily prayer time.  And most of all, I need to surrender to God’s will and guidance.  Perhaps God has a new plan for each of us if we would only ask for his “Best Gift” for each of us and for God’s will to be done in our lives.
           “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
 Great God of Wisdom and Might, assist us to pursue a renewed commitment to follow your guidance and direction.  Grant us insight into the ways in which we can serve you more effectively and lovingly.  We thank you for the example of Solomon and all of the teachings and gifts you have provided.  Forgive us when we fail to be obedient and faithful to your will. AMEN.
Chyrl Budd

No comments: