Friday, August 3, 2018

Devotional 8-3-18

“Got no Rhythm” 

I cannot dance, I cannot sing, and I “Got no rhythm!” At Johnson Memorial, I love when we as a congregation sing the song “Shine, Jesus, Shine” because we clap in unison as we say these words.  It is very inspirational to me but very difficult.  No matter how hard I try, my hand clapping is never in unison.  In other words, my hands are out of tune! I have no rhythm. Therefore, I NEVER actually let my hands touch. I call it the “silent” clap.  I enjoy the music, it makes me happy but I cannot join in the clapping at the appropriate moment in the song.

I said one morning to my daughter, “I am embarrassed because I have no rhythm.”  She acknowledged this by saying, “But you have many other gifts.” She was kind in her comment because the whole family knew that I had no rhythm. That got me to thinking. Many times we feel that we cannot do something because we feel inadequate and do not try.  Surely there is something related to it that we can do. In Romans 12: 3-8 we learn about GIFTS.  We all have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. “If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance to your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.”

I have lived a long life and never really thought about talents or gifts.  But, we all have gifts that can be secular or spiritual.  Many of us do not take time to see the relationship, especially me.  I have been a teacher and counselor as a profession because I liked and enjoyed what I did. But over the years I have learned that the desire to help can be spiritual.  Being a friend to someone who seems lost can be a gift from God. I have a dear friend of many years who is dying from Leukemia.  I am called the “fixer” but this I cannot do.  I call her often and we talk about her plight, meeting with Hospice, and similar conversations.  She says it means so much to hear from me and that it helps. She has been able to talk with a minister.  She has one daughter as I do. Maybe this is my gift from God.  Being a Christian has always been a process for me.  I see the gift of teaching in my daughter as she grows in her faith to teach. Her spiritual growth is an inspiration to me.

We all have talents or gifts that we can use and use well.  God gave them to us but we must learn to recognize them.   We may choose poorly at first, but sweet spiritual success can make the difference. It does not matter if we “Have no rhythm,” we have other gifts!

Lord, hear our prayer,
Give us the desire to keep seeking to learn our spiritual gifts from you so that we can share the sweet spiritual success in working with others.
Amen                           
Carol L. Brown

No comments: