Saturday, September 1, 2018

Devotional 9-1-18

How Are WE?

Not counting mowing our own lawn and that of my grandparents as a 12-13 year old I have worked…at something since I was 15. I helped a contractor build a house before I had a driver’s license and had to wait at the end of our street (this was a summer job by the way) for the contractor or a worker to pick me up. The list of jobs reads like the “what to expect when you arrive” page for an upcoming job fair: construction worker, prep cook (I made 600 – from scratch – buttermilk biscuits every shift), short order cook, telephone installer, real estate appraiser…and so on. Twice on this list you would you encounter the job title of table waiter. At either time I can’t say that I was ever taught or trained how to wait on tables…just a lot of common sense and a longer list of DON’T’S (like spill the food on the customers, stick your fingers in their food, NEVER NEVER NEVER put a glass glass into the ice machine…you get it).  Because of our schedules we tend to eat out a lot. From the moment we walk in, the greeting seems to be standard – almost as if it is in the 2018 training video, the host or hostess says, “How are WE?” WE? You mean ME? The same WE conversation continues at the table, “Are WE ready to order?” Have WE decided on a drink?” “Do WE want dessert?” WE WE WE! It would appear that in an attempt to connect with the customer and IRRITATES me! All of this group hug good feeling is going to fade to gone when the check comes. At that point the paper is passed and WE are not paying…I am paying.

I wonder if I could make a difference at work or at the grocery store or at church if I were to take on the WE position. Show up and ask, “How are WE?” and MEAN it. Your well-being is my well-being. I am the church, you are the church, WE are the church together. I do want to know how WE are. I want to be part of your life. I want to know what you like, what you don’t like, what troubles you, what makes you happy. And when it’s time to pay > with a compliment, with a prayer, with financial help, with physical tasks…I’m still here, and it will be WE paying the check.

James 2:17…So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.

Steve Matthews

No comments: