Saturday, October 20, 2018

Devotional 10-20-18

Not Just Lip Service

Mark 10:35-37, 41-45 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
35 James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came forward to him (Jesus) and said to him, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.” 36 And he said to them, “What is it you want me to do for you?” 37 And they said to him, “Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory.”

41 When the ten heard this, they began to be angry with James and John. 42 So Jesus called them and said to them, “You know that among the Gentiles those whom they recognize as their rulers lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. 43 But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. 45 For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.”

Dear Becky,
Thank you for participating in the Laity Day Service. I really appreciate how you said “yes” immediately and didn’t make me beg. It is good to have someone I know I can always count on.
Love, Anita

I received this sweet note in the mail yesterday. Keep in mind that all I did in the service was read two scriptures. I’m sharing this not because I’m special but because I think Anita and so many others in my life are.

Why are they special? Because they do so much for so many for no other reason than it’s what Jesus taught us to do. They are leaders in the church and the community, not because they demand it, but because they serve those in the church and community.

How do they serve? They work to provide scholarships, organize the backpack ministry, work at food and clothing pantries, prepare dinners and serve them to those in need, and tutor children at area schools. They preach, teach Sunday School classes, write devotionals, sing and play bells in the choirs, and provide the church and other community groups with financial and spiritual guidance and support.

As Christians, we know that we will gain the Kingdom of Heaven not through good works but through Grace. But we also know that if we truly love one another, we must do good works to show that love. I am so glad that I have role models who encourage me to serve others. They make it very hard to say “no” on Laity Sunday or any other day of the year.

Dear Anita,
I am the one who should be thanking you. I loved being part of the Laity Service. But more than that, I love that you depend on me. You and the other leaders/servants in our church and community make me a better Christian.
Love, Becky

Let this hymn be your prayer:
Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if you lead me. I will hold your people in my heart.
Amen

Becky Warren

No comments: