Friday, May 9, 2008

Devotional 5-9-08

One day as I was driving to work, I heard a new song on my favorite country music station. As I listened to the lyrics, I felt tears trickle down my cheeks. I wasn't crying because I was sad. On the contrary, I was weeping because the song brought back so many joyful memories of blessings I'd been given.
In the song, the writer illustrated the frustrations of a young teen as she made the transition from girlhood to womanhood. The adults in her life tried to get her to slow down and "be in the moment," if you'll excuse the cliché. After the singer told about each stage of her life, the chorus was sung as follows:

You're gonna' miss this
You're gonna' want this back
You're gonna' wish these days
Hadn't gone by so fast

These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna' miss this


I thought of those words as I read today's scripture, Acts 2:1-21. It tells the familiar story of Pentecost. I could just imagine the disciples in the upper room, remembering all of the wonderful experiences they had shared with Jesus and reliving the miracles they had witnessed. Then, the scripture says, they "saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. "

As I read this passage, I imagined how much the disciples must have missed Jesus, and how this experience would have renewed them. They had watched their savior die. And even though they knew that he had risen from the dead and had ascended to his father, there must have been an emptiness that only the Holy Spirit could fill.

If you're feeling that kind of emptiness now, ask Jesus to fill your heart with the love of the Holy Spirit. If you're feeling that emptiness now, start listing your blessings. If you're feeling that emptiness now, join us this Sunday as we celebrate Pentecost. Everyone will be wearing red, and though they may not be speaking in tongues, they will be speaking to your heart. You don't want to miss this!

Heavenly Father, thank you for the many blessings you've given me. Continue to fill me to overflowing with a love that only a parent can give to his child. Give me the courage to witness to others so that they, too, will know that they are loved unconditionally. In your name I pray. Amen

Becky Warren

No comments: