Thursday, July 30, 2009

Devotional 7-30-09

Coming into Wal*Mart – the Back Way


Wal*Mart – now, there’s a love-hate relationship. I am in complete agreement with BOTH sides of the debate; yes, I think that they are too powerful and that they have run smaller businesses into the ground, and yes, I think that they have really good prices on a whole lot of things. Complicating this matter is the fact that the Wal*Mart Corporation built, several years ago, a store the size of O’Hare airport about a mile from our house. Throw into the mix that we are both working parents, both kids are in school, all of us are involved in outside activities and tell me now – what is convenience worth? To kick it up a notch, I can get to this particular Wal*Mart without having to go on what the country folk use to call, “the hard road.” I can travel Norwood Road to the intersection called Crossroads then get on Norway Avenue and travel right to the Wal*Mart property and come in the “back way.” Had I chosen to come via the front drive, I could have experienced a four lane state-supported highway. It has clearly marked lanes, a center turn lane to smooth out stopped traffic, a right turn lane that allows for slowing without hampering those coming behind. Well, golly gee whiz, the access point even has one of those new fangled gizmos called a traffic light. Red, yellow, green; you go then I’ll go > wow, how polite. It’s kind of like the instruction book that comes with an appliance or a toy. Do this, then do that.

As wonderful as all of this instruction is I still insist on coming in the back way. Traveling east towards the drive brings me to a “way-too-short” turn lane. As I prepare to make my left, I then get to play chicken with the oncoming cars that are going to come flying around the retaining wall of one million blocks (they are probably afraid it’s going to fall on them) and hope I make it, with my paint intact, on site. Now that I’m in, where do I go? I’m at Wal*Mart but not where I should be. I’m in no man’s land. No lines, no signs saying “Go This Way,” no signal light and most likely an obstacle or two – a delivery truck bringing merchandise or fork lift moving it from point A to point B. In other words, I think I’m where I need to be but I have no clear direction.

So it is too often with my faith. I believe in God but I have a lot to do, you know. So I say a little prayer before meals, I pet a puppy, I smell a flower, and I say “Thank you for my blessings, what a wonderful world.” I have just come to God the back way. His Word is a paved highway complete with signals, arrows and signs. In the beginning God…no other Gods before me…where two or more are gathered…love your neighbor…feed my sheep.

Turn right here.

Steve Matthews

No comments: