Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Devotional 4-7-20





Scripture: John 13: 1-17, 34-35

I was fortunate to travel to the Holy Land last fall with 5 bus-loads of West Virginia United Methodists. What an amazing experience, made even better by being there with friends. The trip involved a lot of walking over dry, dusty roads and hillsides. More than once my fellow travelers asked wouldn't I be more comfortable in sneakers. Nope, my trusty Nike sandals were (and are) my footwear of choice.  I can understand the need for washing the feet of people entering homes in Biblical times.  Of course, it was usually a lowly servant who washed the feet of guests, but at the Last Supper, it was Jesus, the host, who humbled himself to perform the task of washing the disciples' feet. Can you imagine their reaction? They were uncomfortable and confused. Jesus gave an explanation:

 After he washed the disciples’ feet, he put on his robes and returned to his place at the table. He said to them, “Do you know what I’ve done for you?  You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you speak correctly, because I am.  If I, your Lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you too must wash each other’s feet.  I have given you an example: Just as I have done, you also must do.  I assure you, servants aren’t greater than their master, nor are those who are sent greater than the one who sent them.  Since you know these things, you will be happy if you do them.--John 13:12-17

How many times have we experienced joy from helping others? How often do we note that when doing something for others, we get the reward of happiness?

Jesus concludes this conversation with an instruction to the disciples and to us:

“I give you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, so you also must love each other.  This is how everyone will know that you are my disciples, when you love each other.”--John 13:34-35

Beautiful words. Sounds easy. Love each other. Harder than it sounds most days. Love each other. With God's help, we can give it our best try.

Anita Gardner Farrell

No comments: