Friday, October 12, 2012

Devotional 10-12-12

WHEN WE CANNOT FIND GOD
Read Job 23 1-9

Job feels that if he could personally talk with God, He would understand and acquit him but he cannot find God to personally speak with him. Job feels his punishment outweighs his fault. Almost all of the chapters contain Job's complaints about the unfairness of God. Elihu tells Job how ignorant he is acting toward God. Finally, God does speak to Job and eventually, He blessed Job at the end of his life. But, are there times in our lives when we cannot seem to find God? Does it seem that God is hiding from us?

In my research about this Book of the Bible, I read a sermon by Rev. Amy Butler. It reminded me of the time in my life when I felt utter desolation and devastation. I prayed so hard for help but felt totally abandoned. I was angry with God. I felt God did not care. I am sure that some of you have felt that way at one time or another. Then another event not related to the first reason for pain and desolation happened.

I had to think of someone else and not myself. I got down on my knees and started talking to God, asking for help for someone else, not me. I begged God to place my loving mother in His arms and keep her as she went through open heart surgery. It was in 1968 when that kind of surgery was not to as safe as now. I learned to place my burden in His hands. I finally felt peace. I made it through the first situation, also. I like to think God had better plans for me.

I have learned in the years since then that we can find God in others when we feel alone. There is always someone whom we feel is close to God. The touch of a hand on your arm or shoulder by that particular person can mean so much. Our church family is part of that safe nest when we cannot seem to find God. But, I have learned that He walks beside us. He will be there when we turn it all over to Him.

Let us pray:

Heavenly Father,
When we feel all alone, help us to remember that you are always there when we need you. Help us to trust in the God in your children. This way we will be surrounded by your love and understanding even more. Help us to be a Blessing to others. Amen

Carolee Brown

No comments: